Thursday, September 8, 2011

Which way are you travelling!

I remember as a kid, we used to go to my wifes parents beach
house as I was very good mates with her brother. Often when we
stayed there we would play a game of blind man buff as they had a
very big open plan lounge dinning room area at their beach house.
Someone would be the blind man and put on a blind fold and eone
would then scatter to various parts of the room, someone would
stay briefly with the person wearing the blind fold and spin them
around and around to disorientate them and then stop sm and let
them loose to try and tag someone and then the tagged person
would play the blind man role. I remember how easily it was to
get disorintated and think you were somewhere in the room, only
to discover you were some where comlletely different and blow me
down, what was that piece of furniture doing there, I don't
remember it being there and then you would get people that would
move furniture around as you were hunting for someone to make it
more challenging for you!
Well I play blind man's buff every day now and I must say I find
it very challenging at times, I can image the layout of buildings
in my mind pretty well from my days working on building sites,
etc, but often furniture gets moved and I am not aware of it and
I think I am heading some where only to find out I am in a
completely different place and so I then endeavour to find a
landmark that I can identify and once I find that, I can then
start to work out where the route is that I need to take!
I have been doing some outdoor orintation with an instructor from
The Blind Foundation and I can generally make my way along OK' if
I have a handrail or building to follow, but if I suddenly end up
in an open space and nothing to touch and identify, that can be
very challenging! I will generally keep moving slowly and feel
around until I locate a point of contact, but if I am not careful
I can identify that point of contact wrongly and think I am
somewhere and then learn I am in a different place! I am learning
a lot about alignment and also the sun is a good indicator as
well, I can feel it on my face and if it suddenly disappears as I
am moving along in the chair, that could possibly mean I have
gone behind a building or under the eaves of a building or a
gaint has just walked up to me and is about to eat me! I will
endeavour to share my learning experiences around this as I work
and learn with my instructor. I will possibly be working with a
white cane in the not to distant future and I will share ?
experiences as well! So watch out if you see me coming with a
cane in my hand, I might give you a good whack and knock you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment